[aprssig] FD Contacts

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 18 11:44:01 EDT 2011

>> discussing use of aprs messaging during FD.
>> Is that just for fun or can it be counted for FD credit?

> For fun, unless you can make the contact direct.

I should have been more helpful.  Or, if you can make your contacts VIA
TEMP7-7 Path.  Remember, the desire in APRS is that EVERY D700 and D710
should ALWAYS be enabled as a TEMPn-N digipeater (UITRACE set to TEMP).
This assures that they are ALWAYS available for emergency temporary
digipeating by anyone anywhere at any time, but on the other hand it is not
a setting that can be forgotten which would kill the network during normal
operations.

With Field Day approaching it is a good time to get EVERY D700 or D710 owner
to make sure his UITRACE is set to TEMP and is enabled.  I believe the D710
defaults to TEMP and IS enabled all the time.

In the D72 walkie talkie that can now also digipeat, we suggested that the
HT NOT have the factory default be enabled, but the setting is ready to go
as UITRACE TEMP.  SO the HT can become a TEMPn-N digi for special
situations, but is not automatically enabled.\

See www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html

Bob, WB4aPR