[aprssig] APRS Mapping with Weather Radar Overlay?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 14:10:56 EDT 2011

On 3/29/2011 10:32 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> It has been pointed out to me that the NWS really doesn't issue alerts for
> "non-critical" things.  Everything they alert could be considered critical by
> someone, so please re-read the following updated post:
>
> If you can make do with just NWS alerts and not radar, you could use
>
> APRSISCE/32 on either a cell phone or a laptop
>
> Either an Internet connection or APRS RF or both (assuming an NWS-gating
> IGate nearby)
>
> "Immediate, Actual" NWS alerts w/moving multi-line objects from AE5PL-WX (see
> http://www.wa8lmf.net/aprs/AE5PL_Memo.htm)
>
> More NWS alerts w/highlighted zones from WE7U-WX via firenet.us

The reference to "just alerts" refers to the way the old WXSVR issued three
diffferent classes of messages:  "Advisories", "Watches" and "Warnings" that
would would light up transparent shape files in three different different
colors (yellew, orange, red) on maps.

When AE5PL took over the APRS weather server in July 2009, he opted to
drastically reduce the amount of traffic by dropping the advisories and
warnings and send only the most urgent "Warnings" (severe events actually
underway).

Full details on this are on my web site at:

<http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/get_nws_shapefiles.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net