[aprssig] [ui-view] APRS Radiation sensor

Bernard Van Haecke bernard.vanhaecke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 20:51:49 EDT 2011

Hi Bob,

Making it mandatory to use a special symbol (or one of a set of special
symbols)
for an APRS packet to be interpreted in one or another way may seem
redundant.
The weather report strings already adhere to a specific format.

Should the use of a specific symbol be mandatory or just optional?

I.e. what if a balloon carries a simple or elaborate weather station (with
just a thermometer
or a radioactivity sensor)?  can they still use the balloon icon AND use the
weather report
format?  how about small boats, camping tents, space shuttles :-) ?  They
all have their
icons.  It would be nice if they can still use their more meaningful icon
regardless of their
packet payload, whether it's weather data or other things.

Do sites like aprs.fi only show weather charts when the /_ symbol is used?
 I think
it would be interesting to know.  I hope they don't and they look at the
packet payload
instead.

73

Bernard KI6TSF