[aprssig] [ui-view] APRS Radiation sensor

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 24 10:28:52 EDT 2011

Geeze, you were right.  We did allow WX to be included in Flood gage
symbols.  Was that a good idea?  Following that logic, we'd also need to
parse Radiation hazards for WX.  Seems to me if a stations is transmitting
the "weather format" which includes floods and radiation, then it should be
a WX symbol.  Any s0oftware that wants to highlight those stations with
special sensors can "search and display" by selection.

On the other hand, all old software will not easily see these new
capabilityies since they cannot search for the special fields.  In that
sense, new code, parsing the NEW symbols allows for OLD software to see NEW
capabilities (symbols) but not recognize the weather?  Now I'm leaning back
to that.  Yes, because that gives a measure of backwards compatibility to
all existing users to SEE new sensors and capabilities with their existing
software (if they want to actually see the data, they can see it manually or
upgrade their software, but at least they know it is there..

But new software can do it all.  Yes, I think that is the correct approach.
So I guess we do need a new symbol just for SENSORS.  And Radiation is one
of them.  And it can contain WX.

Bob, WB4APR