[aprssig] APRS Radiation sensor

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Mar 24 00:12:22 EDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 9:07 AM, Julian, G4ILO wrote:
> A lot of domestic hand-held radiation monitors such as are
> manufactured in Ukraine have only an LCD readout. They are much
> cheaper than the ones with computer interface. Is there any way that
> they could be used? Could the system accommodate manually entered
> readings?

At the very least you can count pulses coming from the tube.  That much
of the design is common to any Geiger counter.

I really wish I'd gotten around to making a kit of the counter I built a
few years ago, but even if I had I'd have sold out about 12 hours into
the crisis.  I've been getting inquiries non-stop since then.

At some point I should be able to put out a sub-$100 counter as an
add-on to the ADS-WS1, and maybe a standalone device with USB output
too.  The limiting factor is the GM tubes, which I last saw quoted at
about $45 each in quantities of 100.  Smaller, less sensitive tubes can
be found for less.  Maybe I'll have to look to the Ukraine for cheaper
detectors.

Scott
N1VG