[aprssig] APRS Radiation sensor

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Wed Mar 23 13:24:52 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 16:07 +0000, Julian, G4ILO wrote:
> A lot of domestic hand-held radiation monitors such as are
> manufactured in Ukraine have only an LCD readout. They are much
> cheaper than the ones with computer interface. Is there any way that
> they could be used? Could the system accommodate manually entered
> readings?

Hi Julian,

of course one can "manually enter the reading" but I think you don't
want to spend your day periodically watching the LCD and then entering
values manually...

However, it's the same as with temperature, pressure, humidity and so
on. As long as it is properly formatted according to the APRS Protocol
Specification, every other APRS device will be able to parse it.

With some understanding of electronics you can probably get the reading
from the circuit and transfer it over a serial interface. So it's about
modifying the hardware.

73,

Guido IZ6RDB