[aprssig] APRS Radiation sensor

Bernard Van Haecke bernard.vanhaecke at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:06:11 EDT 2011

Hi

I built a telemetry station using an Arduino, RadioShield and GM counter and
put it on the
air recently.  The charts can be seen at
http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KI6TSF-8?range=day

I will put the source code via a link on my QRZ page as soon as I can FTP it
(for experimental purposes only!)  Anyone is welcome to try it and run their
own telemetry station.

The 3 digits per channel in APRS telemetry packets sound sufficient to me.
 If your CPM or
rate in uR/hr goes above 999 at any given ham shack location, chances
are your APRS station got
volatilized already and there is no life around for miles.

Accurate ratings in Sv units from a tube may not be obvious.  The EPA itself
is very
careful about it and uses CPM (particle count per minute) on their maps
instead of using
SI units.  Also, tube readings can be relative to a lot of environmental
factors (not just
calibration).  CPM alone is useful to watch trends though.

Bernard KI6TSF
--
Note: this email may not be cross-posted to other lists, aliases, blogs,
bulletin boards,