[aprssig] KPC3+ induced errors

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 07:18:21 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Larry Cerney <lcerney at viawest.net> wrote:

> Now there’s nothing to say that there ISN’T a problem with the KPC3+/KISS
> mode, but the errors were traced to an Igate who was running a Kenwood D700
> into a computer running UI-View.  No KPC3+ involved at all.  His packets
> were being delayed by 2 to 10 minutes.  Russ, KB0TVJ, has done some analysis
> on the timing, so I’ll like him explain that.
>

> But it seem the packet delays are due to something that is happening with
> KPC3+ and now the internal TNC in the Kenwood D710, or something common to
> both, or something altogether different.

Are you absolutely sure that it was the D700/UI-view32 combo that was
delaying them and not an upstream digi that is some client using a KPC3+ in
KISS mode?

I have a hard time believing the D700 has the same issue. They are TASCOM
modems and are not based on the Kantronics design.

What is the call of the suspected Igate? I'd like to see packets it delayed
that were not digi'd by another station proir to it gating them to APRS-IS.
If it was digi's by anything else, then the assumption can be disputed.
Also, the KPC3+ delays are consistent -- once it starts doing it, it keeps
doing it until reset or power cycled. It sounds like you are saying the 2 to
10 min delay with the D700 is random.

Just my opinion.

Randy
WF5X