[aprssig] ISONLY

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Mar 15 18:51:48 EDT 2011

Bill WA7NWP wrote...

> the APRS-IS. Why not also have something like "ISONLY" for
> folks that only care about being seen on the web services?...
> This could potentially reduce lots of extraneous packets on RF.

Hmmm... I don't see the point. IGates don't just gate "stuff" to RF just
because it exists. They would specifically have to set something to
gate anything to RF. The usual would be to gate just messages to
"local" stations. If the "TCPIP only" station hadn't been on RF, the
IGate wouldn't gate any messages directed to that station to RF.

If they were gating more than messages to local stations, then it is
something that they would have specifically set up, and hopefully not
in a way to saturate the local RF network.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH