[aprssig] Fwd: Responding to your message - HR607

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:19:58 EST 2011

Fellow hams-

I'd like to share a response I received from my Congressman in regard to an
email I sent about HR607.  While I'm sure it was composed by a staffer and
never crossed the Congressman's desk, I'm quite relieved that a) I received
a response and b) it was well worded, thoughtful, and indicated an awareness
of both amateur radio and the danger to amateur radio operations that HR607
poses.  Unfortunately, my local Congressman doesn't sit on any of the
committees that directly touch this bill, but perhaps this particular staffer
is buddies with a staffer who knows a guy that has the ear of someone that can
influence a representitve on one of those committees.

I encourage everyone on the list to visit
http://homeland.house.gov/about/membership
and look for the name of your local congresscritter.  The ARRL has a form
letter you can send them, or you can do what I did and take a few minutes to
compose a personal letter explaining how much money and time you have invested
in 440MHz radios, equipment, and networks, and how the loss of spectrum will
adversely impact your ability to assist first responders and EMA officials when
it hits the fan.  I think this is a fight worth fighting, and I suspect that,
while a single email might not have much impact, an email from several hundred
hams regarding a topic that probably won't get a lot of exposure (vs. health
care, or military spending, or being opposed to the unionized, subsidized
group grope you get when you go through TSA security) might have an impact.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled discussions of Linking Digipeaters
and the lengths of radio cables...

de AB0OO
John Gorkos