[aprssig] FTM-350 cables

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Mar 10 18:32:29 EST 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> On 3/10/2011 8:48 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
>> At 09:56 AM 3/10/2011, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
>>> you mean like this one:
>>> http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=pnp
>>
>> That device has no on-board USB audio device or "sound card". It's still
>> dependent on the sound card in your computer.

Exactly - the specification was for a smart adapter cable between USB and
the mini-din, including USB audio and USB serial for PTT. I'd like to get
rid of the mess of 3 wires from the computer (USB serial for PTT, two
audio wires).

>> Devices such as the Tigertronics Signalink USB have a built-in USB audio
>> device.
>
> Especially ironic, considering that the Signalink costs $20 LESS than the
> West Mountain device!

That's more like it! But it seems to have some sort of built-in VOX
circuit for PTT which probably requires extra txdelay - no built-in serial
for real PTT control. And 3 extra potentiometers which should not be
needed - the software controls for the USB audio device's mixer seem to be
good enough. And it's a bulky extra box.

   - Hessu