[aprssig] Possible Opportunity For APRS

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 21:45:58 EST 2011

In the order received...

--Steve, K9DCI wrote:
> I have some answers, so no need for further responses.

Aw, but I just finished my query!

+----------+
| COUNT(*) |
+----------+
|      267 |
+----------+
     Tom KD7LXL

Thanks Tom, that agrees well with Pete's (direct email).

However, upon further thought, I realized that all mobiles, not just truckers, would be the better potential market number for an APRS GPS.

Soooo  Pete said that was more difficult, but gave an estimate of 19,000 in North America.  If you want to run something, go ahead.  No need to send the script it means nothing to me anyway.

 THEN ...

--- Bob Bruninga wrote:
> ... the number of APRS truckers is probably only 2%
> of the total number of truckers with a ham license.  ...
> Bob

Bob,
 Good point!  While it'd be nice to know the real (2%) number, pointing this general fact out can help the cause.

  I'll also have him contact you directly.  He said you helped him with another issue some time ago.  Perhaps you can give some advice about dealing with a manufacturer in this regard.  Unless, of course, you have a limiting NDA.
73, Steve, K9DCI