[aprssig] Possible Opportunity For APRS

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 02:39:03 EST 2011

 A friend of mine works for a well known manufacturer of things like GPSs.   I don't know what he is willing or able to share, so I'll keep quiet for now.
He is using a few local hams as testers for a GPS and we were talking at the meeting last night.
  He has been pushing the marketing folks to consider making their next GPS APRS compatible -- they appear somewhat receptive.  One thing that may help is knowing the number of "trucker hams" using APRS.  Truckers being a market force since they use some of the more advanced GPS database features like bridge clearance data for auto-routing.
  So, I know sig members can parse the APRS-IS stream and gather data such as numbers of each client type we have all seen.  Well, if the number of stations squawking Semi symbols could be counted, say for North America, or whatever, it seems this is a good approximation of the size of that market and whether or not there's some leverage to be gained for a product; or is he just whistling up a drain pipe.

Can anyone do this?   or comment ?    (as if I have to ask)
--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)
--

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Apr-2010
  http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net

Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em, etc...
For:
TM-D700 |         TH-F6A      |   TS-2000    |   Icom 706MkIIG
All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
NOT D710

More Details, Features and Downloads at:
  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/