[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Wayne Sanderson whsander at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:55:50 EST 2011

I regularly used a wireless PDA years ago that ran on a dedicated
packet data network. It used an interesting transmit/receive scheme.
The upload side of the device sent data up to the network at 4800, but
the downstream packets from the network came down at 19200. The idea
was that the end user in everyday use generally sent very little up
compared with receiving quite a bit down, which was how they got away
with the speed difference. It made sense too, considering that the end
user only sees the speed of the data he receives, and doesn't care
what speed the stuff he sends goes out, as long as it goes.

I wonder whether a dedicated offset freq for digi access set to a
lower speed with network reception on the mobiles set at the higher
speed would ever be possible. I imagine one would either need 2 TNCs,
each set to a different speed, or a TNC set to 9600 or whatever speed
one wanted to run on the main channel and a straight one way transmit
only modem on the uplink channel set at a lower speed.

I wonder whether a skillfully written software modem might be able to
handle all speeds on the same channel and be able to send/receive them
all.