[aprssig] Error checking within APRS packets

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 20:49:35 EDT 2011

On 6/26/2011 11:48 AM, Guido Trentalancia wrote:

> It should still be possible to do it with little risk. As long as there are
> no (multiple) interactive connections ongoing, there should be no need (for
> anything or anyone) to switch the stream. Or at least, this is my
> understanding (consider I do not have such a TNC, as the Kenwood TM-D710 uses
> 0x01 by default, and I have never used that function anyway). And usually for
> APRS, one TNC is exclusively devoted to APRS itself.

Stream switching is very much used exclusively within APRS!

The Kantronics KPC-9612 and KAM dual-port TNCs contain two separate radio
interfaces (modems) that input/output through a single shared RS-232 serial
port.  They can also cross-digipeat between the two modems internally.  The
vertical "pipe" character and the tilde are used to select between the two
sides of either of these two devices.

The 9612 has been used in mixed 1200 baud/9600 baud networks or as a gateway
between users on 144.39 and a backbone on 9600 baud UHF.  For decades, The KAM
which operates 300 baud HF on one side and 1200 baud VHF on the other, has been
used by nearly all HF-->VHF gateway stations.  The real-time all-US HF, and
real-time local-area VHF, displays on my UIview APRS webserver are produced by
the two sides of a single KAM.connected to a single serial port on the PC.

The existence of these two devices is one reason that the pipe symbol and tilde
symbol in the APRS symbol chart (that otherwise uses all printable ASCII
characters) have been kept unassigned all these decades.   Full APRS symbol set
into here on my website:

. <http://WA8LMF.net/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF