[aprssig] APRS Object format

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Jun 22 23:25:30 EDT 2011

Eric K9LGE wrote...

> 1) is there a general consensus as to what is good for the comment line?
> My thoughts were our repeater frequency (which is our 'talk-in'), and I
> put our club call that we are using for FD and our class. Would it be
> better to replace the call/class with just something like "FRRL Field
> Day site" or ?
>
> 2)Listing our repeater as talk-in, is it necessary/courteous to list the
> PL tone ("-103.5")?

If a tone of 103.5 Hz is required, you would add T103 after the frequency.
If whatever is generating the object is identifying on its own, you could
leave the W9NE off, but as the object is specifically created for FD, it
would be good to leave it in there. The 8A doesn't hurt, but it really isn't
necessary, as actual FD contacts would include that information.

;FD-FRRL  *111111z4151.87N/08825.74W;147.210MHz T103 W9NE 8A

I don't think I would add anything like "FRRL Field Day site". Anyone
familiar with APRS and Field Day would know that the FD signified
Field Day. Local people might know what FRRL stood for, but for anyone
passing through, you are giving them a repeater frequency to call on
if they just want to say hi or even better, drop by your FD site. There
is a limit to how much the D7 / D700 / D710 etc. can display, so you
say the most important things first. You can try tacking a bit more
on the end, but a lot of mobile stations wouldn't be able to see it
with the limit being set by their display.

The page http://aprs.org/localinfo.html gives some hints on the
best format to display on a d700 etc.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH