[aprssig] Error checking within APRS packets

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Jun 21 00:45:19 EDT 2011

Guido IZ6RDB wrote...

> Well, of course, otherwise they would be called "broken TNCs". I am
> referring to commercial ones, as otherwise they won't survive that long
> on the market.

Well, there is the KPC3+ from Kantronics. That's a well known and very
popular brand. I have about half a dozen or so of them. We all know how
"broken" they are in KISS mode.

> In fact, if something wrong happened or will ever happen, the most
> likely cause would be a local misconfiguration (especially if it's some
> widely used or well trusted commercial TNC).

I think you are pointing the finger at UI-View here. If this was a general
problem, there would be thousands of people with the problem.

> So if that is happening only over APRS-IS, it should be a problem of the
> specific APRS IGate software and environment (either a misconfiguration
> or a bug).

I can't think of any software that has a setting that would allow a "mis
configuration" like this that would introduce errors.

We can speculate, but some specific testing should pin down the caused.

73 es cul - Keith
ve7gdh at rac.ca