[aprssig] Error checking within APRS packets

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Mon Jun 20 18:24:20 EDT 2011

On 6/20/2011 4:32 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> On 6/20/2011 2:38 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> Do we have any real examples of how the quiet TX 1/2 through packet followed
>> by loud TX complete packet can result in a "packet" too long that would
>> corrupt internal TNC buffers?
>>
>> Will the start of the "loud" packet result in an end of packet recognition of
>> the "quiet TX" packet.
>
> AX.25 packets on the air not only carry a CRC-16 (which is the error checking
> that PASSALL ignores), but also carry framing bits that positively identify the
> start and end of a packet. "Bit-stuffing" is used to ensure that a framing bit
> sequence doesn't occur within a packet. So, if a TNC is receiving a packet and
> another packet stomps over it, the framing is the first line of defense to drop
> the first packet and restart receiving with the new packet. When the start/end
> framing sequences have been identified, then the CRC-16 is used to ensure that
> everything within the frame is good (hence the name FCS for Frame Check Sequence).

Right.  My thoughts are hovering around whether or not these TNC firmwares are
paying complete attention to the framing and CRC given some of these discussions
that keep coming up from time to time.  So, I am just trying to stimulate these
discussions of the facts so that everyone can read up and understand what is
going on, and think about what is going on with any firmware they are creating
for X.25 implementations.

> AX.25 bit streams are documented for those that really want to know the nitty
> gritty details. APRS is transmitted as UI AX.25 packet, so ALL of the AX.25
> packet framing and error checking applies. APRS doesn't use any of the
> connection-oriented AX.25 packet types, but only the single UI packet type.

Yep

>> How does all of this play out to indicate that there are failure modes that
>> we've seen but not been able to identify the cause of?
>
> If you are observing these "corrupted" and/or "concatentated" packets directly
> on RF, then this discussion makes sense. If you are seeing apparent
> concatenations of two packets on APRS-IS, there seems to be a server out there
> at times that has been doing this for over a month now. Those concatenated
> packets are happening on the -IS only and are not actually going over RF unless
> a message packet happens to get concatenated which was my first discovery of
> those particular errors.

Again, I'm just trying to understand what everyone thinks about these issues to
make sure that we all agree.  I did think that the framing and CRC-16 should be
the line in the sand that would make it most unlikely that two packets which
were concatenated in some form should not live to be output by a standards
compliant TNC.

CRC-16 can be fairly strong in such short packets, so while it can seem
problematic to some, there is ample world experience to demonstrate that between
the framing bits and the CRC-16 the chance of concatenated packets surviving as
a single packet could only happen with a software bug, or when passthru (or
whatever option ignores the CRC) is on.

It is interesting that we get these things happening on the APRS-IS too, where a
simple loss of line-separator can create havoc, because we don't have a
"packetization" mechanism implemented/available there.

Are the problems still happening so prolifically as to be problematic
continuously and new people are just finding the same old problems that have
never been solved, or are there new cases each time and the solutions have to be
discovered each time?

Gregg Wonderly