[aprssig] Error checking within APRS packets

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:37:55 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> >     What type of error checking does APRS have to
> >     prevent corrupt data?
>
> None.  The AX.25 packet is assumed to be error free (unless someone has
> PASSALL turned on, and then the result is totally error vulnerable).
>
> But callsign-only errors can happen.

But, it shouldn't happen enough that it appears to be a significant
percentage of what the Igate is putting into the APRS-IS. First thing to
check is that PASSALL is OFF. If PASSALL is OFF and it continues to be
significant, try running the D700 in KISS mode to UI-View. Just a couple of
month ago, we had a fella that popped up around here that was gating a
larger number ( almost all ) of corrupted call stations. We verified that
his TNC had PASSALL off, and it did, but would still send thru bad calls.
Once we had him use KISS mode in UI-View to access the TNC, all the
erroneous callsigns dissapeared.

Randy
WF5X