[aprssig] Bouncing locations

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 20 13:57:55 EDT 2011

From: Zachary Beougher
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 12:49 PM

If you go to http://aprs.fi/?call=a%2FKD8KSN-9 and view my path over the
past three+ hours, you will see I made a trip down to Frazysburg and back
home.  I went down, came back, shut the beacon off, and it was about 10:40a
this morning.  I just got on APRSIS (KD8KSN-12), and I had a message that I
sent from my mobile (KD8KSN-9 - the one I am having issues with) this
morning *along with the response from the other station* waiting in my
inbox.  I went out to APRS.fi, and it has me plotted down in Frazysburg at
1620z, going 34mph.  The beacon is shut off at the radio (it is just
monitoring a repeater), and it is sitting about 50ft from me right now –
definitely not in Frazysburg.  I know that aprs.fi plots you at your last
location, but according I checked it this morning and it had me back home,
now it has me randomly in Frazysburg.  It is almost like a packet is being
saved at a specific location and then being transmitted at a random moment.

I have had this issue over the past few days when I go into Columbus – I go
in, come back, and about 2 hours later is suddenly plots me somewhere along
the path I took 3 hours before, along with about 2-3 other stops along the
way.

One last thing regarding the message I received.  Go to
http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=KD8KSN-9  The “gm!” that was sent at 1248z
this morning, along with the auto response from W8KRF-1 were the original
messages.  The duplicate message that was sent at 1620z was sent while I was
no where near the radio.  This was sent at the same time that aprs.fi
plotted me back in Frazysburg.

Does anyone have ANY idea what this thing is doing?  I am running the
FTM-350AR w/ smartbeaconing.  I have had absolutely NO issues up until this
point. If you need clarification please email me.  I will be going out in a
few so the path on aprs.fi with probably be erased.

Zack
KD8KSN