[aprssig] Android HUD Development

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Fri Jun 10 18:55:40 EDT 2011

* Rud Merriam <k5rud at arrl.net> [2011-06-10 22:12]:
> I am thinking of a HUD more like the 2-3 line display for the
> standalone HUDs. APRSDroid's display is not readable if my phone is
> mounted on the dash. The text is to small.

Ah, now I see where you are heading. I find the dot matrix displays with
four lines of content rather limited.

Still, I can see the need for a large-print display for vehicular use.
So the main question is, which information should be provided at which
font size?

I tried a trade-off by using a rather large font for the callsign and
QRG in the neighbor list, but that seems not to be enough. If we further
increase the font size, we have to omit some information. It is not too
hard to make a station entry only display the callsign and, if
available, the QRG below it, each filling the line width:

http://op-co.de/tmp/hud-mode.png (color encodes age of the beacons)

Obviously, this significantly limits the number of visible stations. But
then, the font should be much better readable when dash-mounted.

> I had to reset my phone the other day and lost the install of your
> app. Does it support message sending? As I recall it doesn't.

No, it does not. It will become part of 1.1 or 1.2 in the next months
(the version being dependent on the progress I make with bluetooth TNC
support).

73 from Germany,

Georg DO1GL
--
APRSdroid - Open Source APRS Position reporting and Mapping on Android
http://aprsdroid.org ++ https://market.android.com/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app