[aprssig] Timestamp Questions

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jun 9 07:40:49 EDT 2011

If you're going to write a new APRS client, you need to get a copy of
aprs101.pdf and read it, study it, read it, and study it some more.
Most of your basic questions will be answered therein, like the fact
that messages have NO timestamp!  Also, on page 22 (32 in acrobat) it says:

> Hours/Minutes/Seconds (HMS) format is a fixed 7-character field,
> consisting of a 6-digit time in hours, minutes and seconds, followed
> by the h
> time-indicator character. For example:
>
> 234517h is 23 hours 45 minutes and 17 seconds zulu.
>
> Note: This format may not be used in Status Reports.

Note the ZULU mentioned on the next to last line.