[aprssig] Wholehouse Surge protection?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 7 09:38:47 EDT 2011

> When I built my cabin 6 or 7 years ago, I had an
> I.C.E. Model 330 installed on its own circuit breaker.
> ...nothing seems to have come through...

>>With lots of (APRS on topic) electronics at home,
>>I wonder about putting in a whole-house surge protector.
>>ANyone with experience there?

I got the one from Home depot for $47 or so. (it was the last dusty box at
one home depot.  Another home depot had 2).  The same one was $60 from
Lowes.  The unit just screws into a knockout on the side of the distribution
panel and goes to a 15 amp breaker.  As already stated, when it captures a
lightening hit, it shorts that energy and usually takes itself out with it.
Hence, the 15 amp circuit breaker protects the house from the resulting
short.  But that is milliseconds after the protected surge...

Bob, Wb4APR