[aprssig] Shack backup power

DALE wa7ixk at embarqmail.com
Sat Jun 4 21:50:34 EDT 2011

In my area if they hear a generator running they come and make you shut it down.
They are a little paranoid.
If a generator is running and feeding the grid all the air conditioners and
other stuff hooked up to the same transformer is goingto short out the generator and trip the breakers.
They also work on the line as it is hot any way.
Most dead short the line when it is being worked on.
very unlikely a generator is going to kill a lineman.
I use a suicide cord to hook mine up after I have tripped all breakers.
One main breaker kill the whole house.
I am thinking of putting in a transfer switch, but it is $200.00 just for the panel.
We get very few power failures any more.
When I did not have a generator we had a lot of them.
It is amazing what a back up generator can to to improve the grid reliability.
Worth Avery penny I spent and the generator is just like new and converted to propane.