[aprssig] Nuvi 350 - D710 error message

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jun 2 15:42:05 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 03:36:11PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <earl.kd5xb at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Is this cable strictly for the 350, or might it work with other Nuvi models?

It "might" work with other Nuvi models, depending on your definition of
"work."  It will allow use of most Nuvi models to feed NMEA data from the GPS
to an APRS device, but Nuvi models other than the 350 tend to have issues that
make them less suitable for APRS --- notably only the Nuvi 350
properly moves a waypoint produced by $GPWPL sentences sent from the APRS
device back to the GPS.  Other models make duplicate waypoints as a station
moves, and fill up the waypoint list.

See http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI for more details.

But the long-and-short of it is that the Nuvi 350 is pretty much the ideal
one to use with the GTRANS cable, and all others have undesirable misfeatures.

The Nuvi series is also usable with a different cable and an Argent Data
Systems Tracker 2 to access more of the hidden "Fleet Management Interface,"
but the broken handling of waypoints in models other than the 350 is still
there.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."