[aprssig] Aeronautical Mobile Best Practices?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 2 09:28:36 EDT 2011

>>> Mic-E generally works fine...
>> For terrestrial, sure, but I can't agree in
>> the case of aeronautical mobile due to its
>> limited usage vs. the ease of troubleshooting ASCII.
>>
> Assuming a Mic-E packet is about 20 characters shorter...
> The gained channel time could be small when compared
> to tuning rates and paths, but it comes cheap...

I think the real value of shorter Mic-E packets is not in the 10 seconds per
mission of saved air time, but in the improved reliability of -each- packet.
Look at it as 20% shorter.  This means 20% improved reliability (20% smaller
chance of something else colliding with one's packets!)...

Bob, WB4APR