[aprssig] QRU - Anything for Me?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 21 12:11:18 EDT 2011

To my knowledge InfoKiosk was simply an auto-responder and didn't take
the location of the requester into account.  QRU sends the CLOSEST N
objects to the request within the requested information grouping.

QRU also uses an intelligent delivery algorithm as follows:

1) If the requester is thought to support Item-As-Message (APRS 1.2
feature), send the objects that way

2) If the requester is on local RF, send the objects directly out via RF

3) If the requester is remote RF (heard through some other IGate), send
an object summary as a message

4) If the requester is -IS based, send the objects to APRS-IS and trust
that his/her filter will pass them through.

This approach should get the information to the requester though
whatever communications path is available, including via APRS messaging
via remote IGate, provided that there's a bi-directional one in range of
a remote RF requester.