[aprssig] Group filtering bug in Kenwood TM-D710 (firmware version 2.10)

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Tue Jul 19 18:08:08 EDT 2011

Hi Bob !

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 17:36 -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Glad to hear that someone is using Bulletin Groups.
>
> Just remember that Bulletin Groups are EXCLUSIVE.  This means that if you set a BULLETIN GROUP name, that you will then automatically IGNORE ALL other bulletins and groups.

Yes, I do remember that.

So that if somebody does not want to receive any bulletin at all, all
he/she needs to do is to just set the BLN field in Group Settings (under
menu APRS) to a random 5 (at the moment unfortunately 4 on the TM-D710)
characters and say a little prayer (eventually iterate until good luck
comes).

> Can you share with us how you are using Bulletin Groups?

Yes, of course ! I do not even understand why you took the list off...

It's all explained here:

http://iz6rdb.ampr.org/en/aprs.html

with the exception of a few undocumented ones (such as group D710 to
notify the availability of new firmware updates).

But please let me take the opportunity to point out once again the
availability of a very small and simple free utility named
ax_emergency_listen for Unix-like platforms to monitor and react upon
reception of APRS Emergency packets:

http://iz6rdb.ampr.org/en/aprs_igate.html

It can be run in the background (similarly to a daemon/service) and it
virtually takes no resources.

As you can see, I do use Group Bulletins amongst many other things to
broadcast any emergency situation that might arise (it's also published
on the web and forwarded by email to a few volunteers).

> Thanks
> Bob, WB4APR

You're welcome ! Please let me know if you need any further information.

73,

Guido IZ6RDB