[aprssig] APRS mobile HF CQ

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 17:42:23 EST 2011

On 1/27/2011 1:57 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
> Chris,
>
>   Without having to read that whole web page, how is this different from the messaging we already have (other than HF vs.2M input)?  From your short description, it sounds hte same.

1)   It's totally software-based.  It combines a APRS client, a TCP/IP
interface with bi-directional messaging interface, and a PSK63/GMSK sound card
driver in a single barely 2MB installed package.  No TNC required.   The
program has a second IP port that can connect it to an APRS mapping application
like APRSpoint or UI-View if desired.

2)   It uses HF so it can be used in really remote areas with no 2M
infrastructure at all, to gain access to the APRS-IS.

3)   The PSK63 and/or GMSK modulation schemes are vastly superior and better
suited to the vagaries of HF propagation, compared to conventional 300 baud FSK
packet traditionally used on HF.

Details here:

<http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com