[aprssig] GPS possible disruption SE US Jan 20 - Feb 22

mwbesemer at cox.net mwbesemer at cox.net
Thu Jan 20 12:20:56 EST 2011

That is possible, and could probably be implemented via the WAAS system,
in areas that are augmented by WAAS.

However, keep in mind that either jamming or offsetting GPS for aviation
or maritime customers would be relatively ineffective due to the fact
that those platforms are required to have redundancy in their navigation
systems via another source.  (GPS backed by INS, DNS, Omega, LORAN,
etc.)  Also, when near or over land, VORTACs are available for aircraft
use (although they could be shut off in case of emergency).

Consider, however, the case of smart-munitions.  Those that are
GPS-guided (are likely to) go into a fail-safe mode if GPS guidance was
completly disrupted (jammed).  This mode might result in the
self-destruction of the weapon or in the safeing of the weapon
(rendering it non-explosive, although you still would not want it
landing on your house).

I'm only speculating on all of this (of course) but I did spend the
majority of the past 30 years doing RT&E/DT&E with the military.  Most
likely, we will NOT hear anything specific regarding the results/purpose
of this test (unless Wikileaks gets a hold of it!) for the next 25 years
or so.  There are some things that the public really doesn't need (or
want) to know about.

73,

Mike
WM4B