[aprssig] AVRS Online

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Jan 15 12:10:03 EST 2011

John Gorkos wrote:

>> I tried again. It appears that the AVRS server is case sensitive. When I
>> sent "ve7gdh" I was told "ve7gdh out of range of internet node". I tried
>> with VE7GDH again and this time it responded with the closest node. Perhaps
>> it was because my node was connected to a reflector earlier. Yup... that was
>> it.
>>

> I fixed the case sensitivity issue.  toUpper() is pretty simple to insert.  :)

Actually, that's not necessarily a "good" fix.  On APRS-IS, where this
will certainly be used, callsigns are CaSe SeNsItIvE.  If you send a
message to KJ4ERJ-12, I'll receive it and ack it.  If you send the same
message to kj4erj-12, I'll turn a deaf ear.  Even on the filters, if you
add a b/ve7ghd* filter, you'll get nothing from APRS-IS.  If you make it
b/VE7GDH*, you'll start receiving his packets.

So, you might want to search first for the case as it was entered in the
request, and make certainly sure you preserve the case of the station
talking to you.  Upon failing to locate a station in the specified case,
you can then try again after a toupper() to help out those of us that
are insensitive typers.