[aprssig] Sending objects to RF via APRS-IS

Shawn Stoddard stoddard at pobox.com
Fri Jan 7 20:48:18 EST 2011

What is it written in?

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
From: John Gorkos <jgorkos at gmail.com>
To: aprssig at tapr.org
Sent: Fri, Jan 7, 2011 22:35:14 GMT+00:00
Subject: [aprssig] Sending objects to RF via APRS-IS

Hello-
  I'm working on implementing WB4APR's vision of AVRS, as described here:
http://www.aprs.org/avrs.html

So far, I have had a good deal of success and have about 2500 lines of code
written that monitor the APRS-IS stream, track node status for both echolink

and IRLP, and maintain real-time position information for active APRS
stations.  I also have working CMD/ACK code for commands sent to the AVRS
daemon via the APRS-IS stream.
One of the requirements spelled out in the avrs.html "spec" is that IRLP and

Echolink nodes will show up as Objects on the users' radio.  Here is a
sample
use case:
John, AB0OO is driving in an unfamiliar city and wishes to make an Echolink
connection to his home repeater.  He sends a "?" query to "AVRS" via APRS,
and
the AVRS server causes the local I-Gate to send two APRS objects (actually,
items) with the position and QSY information for the two closest EchoLink
nodes.  He then selects one of those objects, hits the Tune button on his
D710, and his radio QSYs to the local echolink frequency with correct offset

and tone.  He is then able to connect to his home repeater over echolink.

My question is, how do I properly structure an Object and send it via
APRS-IS
such that a Tx-enabled I-Gate will broadcast that object on the air?  What
are
the logical steps an IGate will go through to figure out if an object it
hears
on APRS-IS should generate an RF-transmit?

Incidentally, the AVRS server is periodically on-line as I work through it.

If you feel like pinging it, send a "?" to destination "AVRS".  Right now,
it
only returns EchoLink nodes, but IRLP should be added in a day or so (kudos
both Jonathon and David for being so accomodating with my requests).

John Gorkos
AB0OO