[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 19:11:09 EST 2011

On 2/28/2011 1:08 PM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
> Just to throw another fish in the kettle, you can run 9k6 on 6m.  (>50mhz)
> .  Back in the 70's in a magazine I read, there was a such thing as a 6m/2m
> dual band antenna.
>
> Wes

There was a lot of stuff that was dual-band 6 & 2 meters in the '60s and
'70s.    The Collins 62S-1 VHF transverter with a 4CX250 final, the Heathkit
Seneca 6 & 2 meter AM/CW transmitter, the Johnson VHF Thunderbolt 1KW
amplifier, All these actually bandswitched numerous tuned circuits between the
two bands.   Hy-Gain made several 6n2 dual-band antennas.   Actually 6 & 2
dual-band antennas are easy to do since there is a nearly  third-harmonic
relationship between the two bands.

I am presently running a currently-available Comet SB-14   6M-2M-450   mobile
whip. At home I have the fiberglass-sleeved base station version of the
slightly taller version of the same triband mobile antenna, the SB-15.

Any of the current "DC-to-light" all modes such as the Icom 706, the Yaesu
FT-857, Kenwood TS-2000, etc can put out 100W on 6 meters.  And all of these
radios have the mini-DIN data ports that give you direct access to the RX
discriminator and TX modulator so 9600 is easy to do.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====