[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 28 17:29:33 EST 2011

I ran 6m/2m voice diplexed to a common antenna for 25 years in the car.

The antenna was a 2m 5/8. There are two ways to *tune* a 5/8 on 2m. One
is to use a tuned circuit as seen in ARRL publications. The other (used
commercially in Oz) is to add a series loading coil at the base so the
antenna appears electrically to be 3/4 wavelength - a good match to 50
ohm coax. There is little radiation from the coil - typically 6 turns of
18# wound over 1.5".

That same antenna is close enough to resonance on 6m that any reactance
can be removed with a tuneable diplexer. My homebrew diplexer used a
band pass and a band reject circuit in each leg. Opposite band rejection
was >60dB and insertion loss <1dB. It didn't look pretty, in its
cut-down metal ice cream can, but it worked a treat. A later version was
manufactured from double-sided PC board, soldered up as a box.

Ray vk2tv