[aprssig] Balloon tracking questions

Russ Chadwick russ at wxqa.com
Sat Feb 26 09:58:35 EST 2011

On 7:59 PM, Ted11 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've gotten involved with a high-altitude balloon project, and could use
> some advice.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is there a dedicated balloon tracking list I should be sending my
> questions to?

The Edge of Space Sciences (EOSS) group has been active in Colorado for
the past 20 years.  We've done 158 flights and have never lost a
payload.  Most of our flights are non-exempt (requires a Waiver from the
FAA) using 3000 gram balloons carrying about 25 lbs of neck load
(generally 20 lbs. of experimental payloads and 5 lbs. of APRS tracker,
DF beacon, cut-down and parachute).  The extensive EOSS web site is

http://www.eoss.org/

Russ  KB0TVJ