[aprssig] ARISS digi

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Feb 19 15:06:17 EST 2011

On 2/19/2011 11:22 AM, Ted Antanaitis wrote:
> A friend was trying to digi via the ISS and observed his packets on the APRS-IS:
>
> 2011-02-19 05:09:28 UTC: AD7FC>T6SUVX,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAo,AC7KW:`0;^l+c[/>=
> 2011-02-19 05:09:43 UTC: AD7FC>T6SUVX,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,N0AN:`0;^l>[/>=
> And
> 2011-02-19 08:20:41 UTC: AD7FC-9>T6SUVY,WIDE2-1,qAR,WA6LIE-3:'0;`l<0x1c>-/]
>
> I do not recognize 'T6SUVX', does anyone else have a clue as to what that is?
>
> If this indeed was digi'ed thru the ISS why wasn't it listed on the
> www.ariss.net list?
>
> TNX in advance
>
> Ted WA7ZZB

This is a highly-compressed Mic-E format position report.   To make the packet
absolutely as short as possible, part of the latitude information is encoded
and placed in the destination call area.  The "gibberish at the end of the
string is also part of the position data.  If the AD7FC-9 had been moving, you
would have seen this "call sign" (and the tail end of the string) constantly
changing.

Kenwood radios and TinyTracks generate this kind of compressed position report
format.   Mic-E  (Mike Encoder) format was originally developed years ago for
use on shared voice/APRS channels.  The idea was to send the shortest possible
packet at the end of voice transmissions when you unkeyed the mic.  The
original TAPR "Mic Encoder" was a box you inserted between your mic and the
radio's mic jack.  (A complete Mic-E position report is only a 1/3rd to 1/2
second squawk.)    Mic-E results in a position string about 1/3rd as long as
standard APRS format and about ONE-TENTH as long as sending raw NMEA GPS data.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====