[aprssig] APRS activity triggering a text or email notification via internet push

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Feb 16 23:39:02 EST 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Lee Bengston wrote:

> Before seeing this I was also thinking of using a perl script, but it would grab the
> needed info from http://aprs.fi/info/a/$callsign.  Perhaps use WWW::Mechanize or
> just curl or wget.

That would not be a good idea, and I would greatly dislike if you did
that. Please see the last item in the FAQ: http://aprs.fi/page/faq ("Can I
write software to download data from aprs.fi and display it on my site?").
There's a Terms Of Service page, too.

But! There's an API, which could be used much like the one provided by
aprsworld and used by Ham::APRS::LastPacket: http://aprs.fi/page/api

Of course LastPacket & aprsworld is a good solution, and works, too.
Nothing wrong with that. Just wanted to object to parsing the user
interface html. :)

   - Hessu, OH7LZB, of aprs.fi