[aprssig] SSn-N Coordination

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 07:56:53 EST 2011

Hello All,

I am just becoming aware of this aspect of APRS configuration.  I live in
Pennsylvania.  From what I have observed, we have PAn-N in the East, and
WPAn-N in the West, and I live in-between.  As far as the ARRL section, I
believe we are in Western PA.

Could we use the PAn-N alias for someone to 'ask permission' to transit the
state E-W?  It would mean that our primary Digis (we seem to have pretty
good coverage - 2 hops is capable of getting us throughout the state) would
only xmit a less than third hop when seeing WIDEn-N.

someone using a PAn-N could use three hops to get across the state, but it
would also be contained so the packet doesn't end up in Canada.

I am also thinking that I want a CPAn-N alias for North- to South coverage
of the Central part of the state.  This would be the usual restrictive mode.

Personally, I expect to be keeping most of my transmissions directed mostly
at W3YA-1 explicitly.

Am I confused? How many Aliases can a typical digi handle?

Thanks & 73,
Jim A. KB3TBX