[aprssig] Garmin NUVI & messaging?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Feb 8 17:38:03 EST 2011

Sorry folks, I missed this thread until now.  The current situation is this:

The Tracker2 in all its versions supports the Garmin fleet management
interface protocol.  Someone already posted the list of supported units.
  The GTRANS cable will also translate to and from NMEA for the
D700/D710 and (with the right pinout) the FTM-350 and other radios.

Waypoint creation was NOT originally part of the FMI spec.  It's a quirk
that it happens to work (thanks to old code they forgot to remove) on
the 350, and to a limited extent on some other old models - the
limitation being that moving waypoints leave a trail.

With FMI 2.5 and above, waypoint creation is officially supported, and
so is waypoint deletion, so the T2 and GTRANS can delete old waypoints.
  The trouble is that the spec did NOT include anything about the user
interface behavior, and (at least on the nuvi 1300 and 1490) received
waypoints show up at inconsistent zoom levels, with a narrow range -
maybe 2 or 3 zoom levels, it seems to be variable - and they don't show
labels unless you touch them.

If Garmin gets this fixed, we'll be in good shape.  FMI 2.5 added not
only deletion capability, but also categories, so everything the T2 or
GTRANS creates is marked 'APRS' (again, the UI isn't working right on
the nuvi side and this might not show up) and can be deleted separately.

Hope that clears things up...

Scott
N1VG