[aprssig] NMEA ISSUE HELP

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:38:55 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Joe Della Barba <joe at dellabarba.com> wrote:
> I looked up this device you mentioned
> (http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/maxim/MAX220-MAX249.pdf)
> Do these invert the GPS output? AFAIK, I don't need it inverted, just more
> voltage.

an RS232 transceiver both inverts the logic and changes the voltage.
I feed the RS232 into the MAX237, fan out on the TTL side, and go back
to RS232 for the extra copies.  A schematic is here:

http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/avr/MAX237_GPS_splitter.png

This circuit includes a regulator and a jumper (R1) to feed 5V to the GPS18.

One up side of this arrangement is a non-standard RS232 implementation
like the GPS18 comes out of the splitter meeting spec.

-Jason
kg4wsv