[aprssig] Garmin NUVI & messaging?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Feb 2 12:44:15 EST 2011

Earl KD5XB wrote...

> I wonder if this will work with the Garmin 465t -- do you know?

I don't know. There are many FMI capable GPS receivers from Garmin
in the Nuvi line. As far as I know, the 350 is the only one that properly
handles deletion of waypoints so e.g. a mobile station doesn't leave a
breadcrumb trail of waypoints. The non-350 Nuvis have the "breadcrumb"
problem. If the 465t has FMI, there's a good chance it could be used for
controlling a Tracker 2 (OT2m, T2-301 or T2-135) and for sending
and receiving messages, but for viewing other APRS stations on the
map view of the GPS receiver, the 350 is the one to get. I grabbed three
of them while they were still available.

If you have a 465t (and it is FMI capable), I would suggest finding
someone that is using a T2 with an FMI cable and ask if you could try
your GPS receiver connected to their cable.

Or just do a search. I searched for "Garmin 465t FMI OT2m" (without the
quotes) and right away found a link to...

I do read the Tracker 2 list all of the time, but didn't recall that the 465t
had recently been mentioned there. It looks like the answer is that the T2s
can't upload received position reports as waypoints to the 465t.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH