[aprssig] !x! (was: IS-to-RF proposal (rev b))

la3qma at aprs.la la3qma at aprs.la
Fri Dec 30 13:10:14 EST 2011

Quoting "Steve Dimse" <steve at dimse.com>:

>> But where should the packet be dropped? By the IGATE and/or by the APRS-IS?
>> Because if it's the APRS-IS then APRS.FI is not the "bad guy" here.
>>
>> Then we have to look on APRX wich is used by the IGATE receiving LB9KE-7
>
> !x! and x-no-archive prevent _archiving_. They do not prevent the
> packet from appearing on the APRS Internet System. IGates MUST
> ignore these tags, only those programs storing the data in a
> database which is accessed via the internet should look for this. I
> wouldn't call aprs.fi a bad guy, even in quotes, because if anyone
> actually cared they would have given feedback that it is not
> implemented. This feature dates back to findU's early days more than
>  10 years ago, as I said it was demanded by a small number of folks
> who were convinced findU was the devil's work. I did it to shut them
>  up. Time has proven they were wrong.

> Steve K4HG

Ok this answer my question to who should handle this "tag".
And i agree that people needing this "no archive" function then have
to ask to get it implemented if it's not working propperly.

Even with this tag a TNC log from a soundcard decoder or a TNC is not
going to remove this but thats another story...

So why be on APRS if they are afraid that their wife should backtrack
them one day ;-) turn the tracker off... hehe

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA