[aprssig] IS-to-RF alternate proposal - 'marked beacons'

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 30 13:25:20 EST 2011

> Yes, (preventing duplicate injects)...
> can only be solved by either
> * providing complex geometric functions for rgate
> range filtering...to configure the coverage polygon)

I assumed the default "range-to-accept IS traffic" would be based on basically the PHG range around the IGate.  And optionally, if the IGate was using a 1 hop path, then the PHG range around the 1 or 2 digis the IGATE can hit with its one-hop packets.

If an IGate operator is not fully aware of exactly what digis his outgoing packets are hitting, he should not be using ANY path!

And generally going 2-hops with ANY Igate packet is a violation of the golden-rule of not spamming areas you cannot hear fully!  This should only be done with the full concurrence of ALL APRS communities in all surrounding communities.

Just my 2 cents...

Bob, Wb4APR