[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Dec 28 18:49:35 EST 2011

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> Yes, UI-View can do that, but what it can't do is something like
> "Gate APRS-IS-only stations that are nearby but only posits and
> at most this many per time interval".

That is fortunate. That could potentially be a disaster to the RF
network.

> Nearly all of the IGate software out there (except my own
> APRSISCE/32, a situation which will soon be remedied) provides
> some ability for specific stations to be gated, but that gates
> ALL packets from those stations (within rate limits if
> supported), not just posits and no provision for "close" but
> un-enumerated stations.

As I mentioned in my previous post. UI-View can gate specific
stations to RF. The iGate operator gets to decide what is gated to
RF, and the path, and can fine tune the maximum rate that "things"
can be sent out to RF. UI-View will only gate to RF what you tell
it to gate to RF. If I tell it to gate a specific station to RF, I
get to decide whether it is beacons (position reports), objects,
or all frames from a particular station, or to a particular
destination or messages to a particular recipient, as well as
messages to local stations.

I also wanted to state that there isn't anything built into
UI-View to tell it to gate something to RF just because it was
nearby the iGate, or nearby some other location.

I only jumped into the fray to state as plainly as I could how
UI-View could be set to gate something to RF, and about how it
could set limits on the rate that any of them could be gated to
RF. I also wanted to mention that the maximum "beacon rate"
from OpenAPRS was 2 minutes. It just won't let anyone enter
something silly like every 5 seconds. I felt it was better for
some facts to be stated rather than some false assumptions be
made.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH