[aprssig] IS-to-RF packet Weighting

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Dec 28 16:15:50 EST 2011

As stated before, you are trying to modify the path used on APRS-IS.  As specified, it must be TCPIP* only.  Sorry but that is used for a number of things including determining packet origin and determining RF/APRS-IS clashes.  Look at my proposal on using CQSRVR in response to Steve's observation that the only way this works is if it is -not- done at the IGate.  He is correct.

Again, all proposals you have generated so far break something, whether it is the TOCALL, the APRS-IS client-generated path, etc.  As you tried to do with your "new paradigm" for digipeating, you are trying to give transmission control to the packet originator, not the station operator (in this case, the IGate operator).  And, as has been repeatedly stated by myself and others, that is not acceptable when you are telling a ham that he is relinquishing control of his RF station.

In any case, this is going nowhere.  As before, I recommend dropping this concept that an Internet client (most are "unattended" even on smartphones that just sit in their holder) can mandate packets being transmitted on amateur radio frequencies by someone else's station, no matter how well intentioned.  The path to ... is paved with good intentions.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net