[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Mon Dec 26 14:51:51 EST 2011

See below...

No  need for enhancement; no PGATE in the path as that breaks other things in APRS-IS.  TCPIP* is an APRS-IS connected client, period.  Anything else is considered to be a gated RF packet.  Once a directed message is sent to a station (Internet or RF), there is also an ack/rej packet which is also a directed message sent back to the original message sender.  Now the associated packet for either message (original or ack) will make it to RF if the recipient is on RF.  That is how an IGate works.  Just because my station acks a message sent randomly to it from someone else doesn't mean I want to see their entire posit stream following.  That is why the associated packet idea was agreed upon many years ago and still stands today.  If the smartphone user wants to communicate with a station on RF, they can today (if their app supports messaging) and their posit will also be gated to RF along with their message.  That works today as it always has.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net