[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 26 13:03:30 EST 2011

OK, I tuned in late.

Now I see the issue.  Ignore my other general rants...

A smart-phone AP in use by a ham should be seen on local RF in my opinion.  So to answer the question of how-often, I'd propose this rule:

If the IGATE-to-RF path is SIMPLEX Direct (no hops) then I agree with Pete that 1 per minute would be fine.

If the IGATE-to-RF path is one hop (the preferred optimum use of an IGate), then I'd say once every 2 minutes is appropriate.

But if the IGate is set for 2 hops or more, then I would suggest a 4 minute max rate.

Of course, the AP should be in use by a valid Ham Radio operator only.

Bob, Wb4APR