[aprssig] Interesting Preliminary Findings on Soundcard "Soft TNC" Shootout

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 11:32:10 EST 2011

On 12/26/2011 10:35 AM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
> Steve,
>
>   This is a well done test and report and expected based on what I know of your experience.  One question is how many good packets in a row did you consider to be at the "consistently decoding the packet burst" point?

I considered successfully decoding 10 successive packets as being "always".

In all cases, the next dB step down yielded about 20-30% decode successes,
except for the UZ7HO at 300 baud where the dB step below "always" still yielded
70-80% decodes.

I.e. the "cliff" between "always" and "mostly failing" is surprisingly abrupt,
not at all like the perceived "gradually getting noisier" one experiences on
voice as the signal weakens.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths