[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Mon Dec 26 10:16:54 EST 2011

5000 requests; funny that there aren't 5000 APRSDroid clients on APRS-IS.  Makes me wonder if many of those are bogus callsign requests.  If you don't want to take responsibility for the distribution of your software, that is your choice but it directly affects the other hams using APRS-IS and gating to RF expecting some level of human intervention on the distribution of passcodes.  I agree that APRS-IS shouldn't be a big draw to the uninitiated but the easier you make it, the more likely the abuse.  All it takes is a few to mess it up for the thousands.

APRS-IS is carried over a transport that is inherently more reliable than APRS on RF.  Therefore, it should be expected to be more reliable.

The underlying premise is to provide RF-RF connectivity.  If  you throttle at the IGate, as pointed out earlier, you break the underlying premise.  Internet users are not "second class".  They are not amateur radio stations.  They are Internet users who, hopefully, hold an amateur radio license so they can communicate with other amateur radio operators on RF.  They can do that today.  There is nothing that says they should force IGate operators to transmit their beacons on demand.  As stated before, your APRSDroid users, if licensed hams, have every benefit that other Internet-connected APRS clients have.  They don't have a "right" to be beaconed to RF.

Apparently these concepts of "manual, multistep passcode distribution to reduce abuse" and "Internet clients are not amateur radio stations" are foreign concepts to you.  Since that is the case, all other discussions regarding amateur radio RF-centric APRS-IS use is apparently pointless.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net