[aprssig] APRS on Bernuda and Atlantic

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Dec 17 21:54:16 EST 2011

The recent Balloon flight over the atlantic was a clear demonstration that there is no APRS IGate on Bermuda leaving about 800,000 square miles of the Atlantic without coverage.

I've never been there and I assume the old NASA station no longer exists for decades.  What kind of government or other official facility is there where we might be able to convince powers-that-be to insall an IGate?

It would also be a great place for an unattended ISS ground station... ideas?

Oh, and what about SHIPS or aircraft?  Does anyone know of any routine back-and-forth asset that travels from USA to Europe and back?  If a ship has internet, maybe we could get it to have an IGate too.

Bob, WB4APR